Re: [DML] Transmission and Oil question Date: Mon, 22 Jul 2002 13:26:55

Re: [DML] Transmission and Oil question Date: Mon, 22 Jul 2002 13:26:55 -0400

Andy thank you for the explanation of "how oil works". I'm sure a lot of
people on the DML will benefit from reading it. But there is one thing I
don't understand. You say that you should change the oil every 3000 miles.
According to the DeLorean Owner's Handbook You should change it every 7500
miles. Also most car manufacturers in Europe tell you to change the oil
every 15000km (about 9375 miles). So the question is, should I follow the
Owner's Handbook OR the guys that make and sell engine oil? (and are
interested in selling more)
Being in that chemistry field a few years ago I learned that engine oil is
designed to work for a lot more than 3000 miles and it actually gets the
right properties after about 1000 miles! New oil is bad, old oil is bad.
It's the time in between when the oil is good. I've heard that the 3000
miles figure came from oil manufacturers so they can sell more. To me it
makes no sense to change it so often. Beside hurting the engine the old oil
is one of the major sources of pollution.
Another thing is the time. Mineral engine oil should be changed every 6
months (not 3) but no more than12 months. Synthetic oil can stay in your
engine for at least 12 months but no more than 24.

There is a lot of misinformation and confusion when it comes to car engines
and a lot of people actually hurt their cars thinking that they are doing
the right thing because somebody said so. Let's face it, who tells us to
change the oil every 3000 miles? Oil manufacturers in their radio and TV
commercials. Do you believe every commerial you hear? But that is a
different story.
Speaking of confusion... how many of you let the engine warm up for a moment
before you drive it? I bet that most people will say that letting the engine
idle for a moment is a good idea. And the fact is that this is the WORST
thing you can do! And if you read the Owner's Handbook you'll find a section
on cold start. It specificaly says to drive the car as soon as possible
after starting..... There are a lot more things like that I could talk about
but my email already looks like Walt's column ;) (sorry Walt).

Take care everyone and take care of your stainless beauties!
Tom Niemczewski
vin 6298 (FOR SALE)
tomcio@xxxx