Re: Transmission and Oil question

If you aren't going to be using the car much synthetic is way too
expensive and really not necessarry. I reccomend changing the oil and
filter every year or 5000 miles. Use a good quality premium brand.
Refer to Workshop Manual A:05:01 for the viscosity. I think 15w-40 is
what you should be using for the engine.
Only use Dexron ATF in the automatic trans. The latest version is
called Dexron-Mercon ATF and is usable in all GM and Ford automatic
transmissions.
Don't forget that the final drive has it's own separate gear oil, SAE
80. If it is really hot you could also stick in 90W.
Refer to owner's manual and you will see that the brakes are
supposed to be flushed every 2 years. Only use Castrol GTLMA DOT 4. Be
warned if it was never done then this may cause the system to leak
requiring rebuilding the calipers and replacing the master cylinder.
Most auto makers do not recomend the use of ANY additives. In general
the additive packages already in the oils are all that is needed and
what gets them approved. In many cases the oil doesn't need to be
changed except for the fact that the additive packages have worn out.
Same goes for the Anti-Freeze. Trying to rejuvenate the oil or
anti-freeze by adding additives doesn't work, it is more economical to
replace. Always dispose of old fluids properly. Try never to spill
anti-freeze where animals can lick at it, it will kill them.
David Teitelbaum
vin 10757