Re: Vendors and Toby-TABs

Actually, the TAB's are loaded up in a combination of shear and
bending ... the bending is what kills them. As far as NAS or AN spec
bolts (these are government specification bolts - sort of generic
aerospace standard fasteners), the main challenge is the metric
diameter. The SAE equivalent is approximately a double oversize 7/16
inch bolt, which is hard to come by, especially in the lengths we
need. You can get decent A286 CRES material with these standards, but
the size represents a real problem IF you want a proper fit in terms
of diameter. You can put a standard size 7/16 inch bolt in there, but
it will be very sloppy - and bad IMHO. The inconel 718 is a bit of an
overkill, with a margin of 50% over the OEM bolts (at least), but
you'll never have to give it a second thought. The 747 airplane has
four independent hydraulic systems, plus a spare just in case, but
only needs two systems for safe flight. Overkill? It depends on who
you ask. The guy maintaining the systems probably thinks so, but the
pilot probably thinks that five is just right. But ... I digress. I
hope that makes sense.

Toby Peterson VIN 2248
Winged1