Re: [DML] New DeLorean Parts (TAB's specifically)

Re: [DML] New DeLorean Parts (TAB's specifically)

Marc - I appreciate your confusion in this matter. When I said that I
checked the torque at every tech session, this was before I developed
the new bolts. I still do a quick check in the area, but it's to
verify that the installation is secure, not necessarily to retighten
the bolts. For people who still have the OEM bolts installed, I
believe that joint loosens from two primary causes - bolt stretch, and
the wear that results to the washers and sleeves as the joint moves.
A joint with proper clamp-up should never have rotational forces on
the bolts or nuts that would overcome the installation torque. That
means that, if the bolt is up to the task, the nut should never come
loose. We use a self-locking nut just to be on the safe side. My
concept of a torque check is to set the torque wrench at 50 ft-lbs,
hold one end with a wrench, and check to see if the torque wrench
clicks without rotation of the bolt or nut. My numbers suggest that
the bolts can be stressed to near yield by torqueing to the high side
of the range, and also by bending loads imparted by driving. The
bolts that you referred to as being replaced after each use are
actually designed to be torqued up to the elastic limit to maximize
the preload on the bolt. The bolt has been taken to it's limit, and
should therefore be replaced rather than being reused. The TAB's
should never be loaded up to the elastic limit in a joint with severe
bending loads, and a corrosive environment. My bolts never experience
stresses even close to the elastic limit of the inconel 718. The OEM
bolts are "moaning and groaning", while the TOBY-TAB's aren't even
breaking a sweat. I hope that all of this rambling makes some sense
to you.

>please do not take this as an attack on you or your project.

No problem. If I can't properly explain my design and analysis, then
it's my problem for not efficiently and effectively communicating with
the DeLorean community.

Toby Peterson VIN 2248
Winged1

--- In dmcnews@xxxx, "Marc A. Levy" <malevy@xxxx> wrote:
> Toby,
>
> Your statement below confused me.
>
> First you say you torque your bolts 2-3 times a year, and then you
explain how the bolt stretches. Is it possible you stressed your bolt
while re-torque so often?