Re: Tires.. excitement and worries...

To dynamically balance a tire requires puting the wheel balancing
weights in the proper position on both the inside and outside of the
wheel. If a small weight is on the outside it is permissable to switch
it to the inside but there might be a noticable vibration under some
conditions. It is best to leave them where they have to go. If it
really bothers you dab some silver paint on it. The weights compensate
for any symetrical deviations from ideal dynamic balance so when the
tire is rotating at high speed it doesn't "bounce". Some brands seem
to require more balancing then others.
On the subject of torque on the wheel lugs it is best not to
overtighten for 3 reasons. The first is the posibility of distorting
the rim and or rotor especially if not done in the correct order. The
next reason is the possibility of breakage and the third reason is the
lug wrench with the jack may not be able to remove the lugs if you
get a flat. The best advice would be to raise the car and remove the
lugs then retighten in an alternating order to 1/2 the recommended
torque and then the final torque. Tread wear on the outside of the
front tires is normal and is due to cornering at speed. As you turn
the car the tire "tucks under" or rolls so that you are riding on the
outside edge, the harder you turn and the faster the more you will
wear the tire's edge. The "cure" is to rotate the tires front to back
to even the wear. (Don't try this on a Delorean!!!) Although the
camber is set to try to compensate for this in turns, it is a
compromise and cannot eliminate this wear. Cars that have lowered ride
height will probably tend to wear the outside front tires faster.
David Teitelbaum
vin 10757

--- In dmcnews@xxxx, "adam_one_million" <acprice1@xxxx> wrote:
> [ Moderators note: Shops experianced with performance wheels and
tires use stick on weights and the balancing can be done by sticking
the weights to the back side of the wheel. Most likely the shop that
installed the Yokohamas did that. Don't remove the weights that you
have now.]

> I finally got my new tires today. I got pirelli 6000s for front and
> 600s for rear. My previous tires were yokohama AVS, and they had no
> counter balance weights attached to the wheels. When the techs at
Les