Re: [DML] Horsepower

Not trying to nit pic, but (for information only) using the unit "bhp" is
inappropriate for this situation. Bhp stands for Brake Horse Power and in
using this term, it is applied to what the engine output is. This is the
power that would be available if the engine is removed from the car and dyno
tested at the flywheel. Many times the use of "hp" is applied to what a car
has available (like in ads for new cars) which can be easily confused as the
power available at the tires when more likely it is the power output of the
engine only and should be labeled as bhp. Another term for the output at
the wheels is "chassis hp". Similarly, if you need to test the hp of the
car as the wheels, you would use a "Chassis Dyno" and if you were testing
the hp at the flywheel, you would use a "Brake Dyno." Within each of these
two methods, there are a multitude of ways that the dyno is operated, but
that is something for another discussion.

In the case of the DeLorean, the engine is rated for 130 bhp and only has
about 100 chassis hp available. Again, for information only, in quite a few
other cases that I have seen (on TV, in magazines, etc.), the power
available at the wheels is roughly 30 less than what the engine bhp is
capable of - at least for manual transmissions.

I am sorry if it appears that I am trying to stir up some trouble as this is
not the case. I just thought that I might throw some "useless" info. to the
list.

Sean Howley
VIN#2345