[DML] Brakes keep locking up

I must say this is the most frustrating problem I've had with my car yet.
If I drive it for any longer than five minutes, the brakes will lock up and
the pedal get's incredibly stiff with no travel at all. It seems to be
mostly the front calipers and they will eventually release after they cool
down. The brake fluid does look rather old and I know it needs to be
flushed, but would that cause them to lock up? I've driven it every day for
a year and it happened rather suddenly.

Thanks for your help!

payne