Re: Brakes keep locking up

Here is what I would do. First flush out the system with fresh Castrol
GTLMA DOT 4 brake fluid. If that doesn't help then disconnect and plug
the vacuum line to the brake booster and go for a drive. If that does
it you need a new or rebuilt booster. BTW look inside the vacuum hose
from the booster and if it is wet with brake fluid it is dead anyway.
My first guess is that the fluid is so contaminated with water that
when it heats up and boils it is locking the brakes. If the system is
as bad as I think it might be you will soon be doing a complete
rebuild of all of the calipers and master cylinder anyway. BTW if it
is a 5-speed flush the clutch master and slave too. This should be
done every 2 years as per the owner's manual (flushing that is, not
rebuilding the system). A brake shop I know says about every 6 months
or so he has a similar complaint from a customer. It usually turns out
the customer or the gas station put WINDSHIELD WASHER FLUID into the
brake master cylinder resovoir!!!!!
David Teitelbaum
vin 10757