Re: porting, polishing & chroming intake manifold

Re: porting, polishing & chroming intake manifold

Porting and polishing will only work as part of an overall plan. It is
used in the larger context of what is called "blueprinting" an engine
i.e. making it as close to exact specs as possible, closer than the
ordinary production tolerances. As such you do ALL breathing surfaces
including the heads, and the exhaust manifolds. What goes in can only
go in as fast as what goes out permits so you must work on BOTH sides.
Another point to consider, in some cases a rough surface creates a
boundry layer that promotes mixing keeping the air fuel mixture
turbulent so that droplets don't settle out in different runners.
Making it too smooth inside might actually degrade performance. This
is where many parts are made and tested on flow benches to see what
actually improves things. Keeping crossection small also keeps airflow
high which improves the inertia of the air flow. This is really no
area to tinker in unless you are ready to spend $BUCKS$. A slip of a
grinder and you wasted a part and it is really easy to go too deep too
fast in aluminum. Polishing the "Y" pipe inside won't have any effect
as it only carries coolant. The PRV-6 engine seems to be a very finely
engineered SYSTEM so improving 1 thing will have a minor effect.
David Teitelbaum
vin 10757

Whalt@xxxx