Re: [DML] porting, polishing & chroming intake manifold

Re: [DML] porting, polishing & chroming intake manifold

In a message dated 3/1/02 10:45:56 PM Central Standard Time, Whalt@xxxx
writes:

> BTW, I'm also considering a different design for the throttle spool cover
> that would fit UNDER the Y-pipe. The OEM one just looks like it doesn't
> belong there and unbalances the symetry.
>
> Walt

Walt,

i'm not sure what you mean by the "Y-pipe". the Y-pipe as i know it is the
metal lenth of pipe with one outlet on one end (the heater pipe) and the
other end has two outlets that go to the waterpump back. THAT is the Y-pipe.
it is usually very dirty and corroded, and no one will ever see it so why
spend the $$$ on chroming it?

for my intake manifold, i removed it and brought to a machine shop that does
engines. i had them chemically bathe the carbon out of it, then they baked
it, then glassbeaded it and painted it silver with high-temp engine paint.
they also did the throttle distribution pipe (the thing held on by four bolts
on the intake manifold that connects the manifold to the throttle body above
the thermostat housing). i also bought a new pump and had the old themo
housing glassbeaded and painted. it is smooth now and the everything looks
very new. i feel this treatment will last a lot longer than chroming and it
requires less maintenence. besides, my car is a semi-daily driver and it
would probably get dirty in a few weeks. no thanks!

go my route, you will be happy Walt!

Andy

Soma576@xxxx
1982 DeLorean DMC-12 VIN#11596