Re: [DML] Re: Coils

Comment, I wouldn't suggest running any coil without a resistor, the car runs
on alternator voltage. It isn't 12 volts unless the car isn't running, it's
anywhere from 12.8 to 14.5 or 6 depending on your alternator and the load at
the time. The ballast will smooth out the voltage flow and control the
voltage/current going to the coil. Without a resistor wire coming off the
ignition switch like most car have, that feed the coil, you will more than
likely burn up the coil, run it extremely hot and or shorten the life.
The relay in the later models of the Delorean is what switches the voltage to
1 ohm part of the resistor, which is what you run on. You could wire it
direct and go around the relay, but I would have to investigate why they did
what they did.
John Hervey
http://www.specialtauto.com/electrical.shtml

> With the Accel coil is it necessary to keep the ballast resistor and relay
> wiring, or can I run it at a full 12 volts all the time? I'm in the middle
> of
> an engine compartment wiring purge and I'd like get as much of the
> unnecessary wiring out as I can.
> Thanks,
> Jim
>
> Jim,
> I'm still running the original existing ballast resistor with this new
> coil and all the original wiring. I think feeding it a straight 12 volts
> all the time may cause a problem with over heating the coil. You need to
> step the voltage down during normal operation.
As for the relay, we've gone over this one before and if I remember
> relay does nothing and can be eliminated from the system.
> .
Marty