Re: Coils

Some ignition coils do not require the ballast resistor, it is made
with circuitry so that not only does it not require one it won't work
if there is one in the circuit. They are usually clearly marked not to
use a ballast resistor. The ones that require a ballast resistor
usually aren't marked about it at all. If you are going to change the
type of coil you must be sure it is compatable with the circuit you
are placing it in. Way back Mallory had a high performance coil that
was oddly shaped. Not only did it require a ballast resistor it also
required an additional ballast resistor that was included with it. Be
careful the type of coil you substitute. The Delorean has a
solid-state ignition and could over-saturate a coil that wasn't
designed to be used in such circuitry. You are always most safe using
recommended parts, when you start experimenting you do so at your own
risk. Using a coil that wasn't intended for the Delorean could damage
the ECU module.
David Teitelbaum
vin 10757