Re: [DML] wacko speedo?!

Casey wrote:

> I was driving down the highway to Columbus today and out of nowhere my speedo needle started bobing back and forth then lower and lower and then completely died. An now is the weirdest part, If I stopped it would start working again for a while then do the bobbing thing and die completely. When I was in town not going fast it would work fine.

Hi Casey.

It looks like you have trouble in Angle Drive City. It is possible that your angle drive or speedo cable is marginal, or making poor physical contact. Have you got the lower speedo cable support bracket? Many DeLorean speedos fail because they lack this part. See this DML page for info:

http://www.dmcnews.com/Techsection/speedo.htm

I can't find a picture of the bracket right now. You really need to determine whether or not you have it before you continue. Does anyone have a picture of the bracket they could show to Casey?

It sonds like the rotating part of the drive looses physical contact with the cable while you drive straight, only to be pressed back into place when you turn either right or left. If this is the case, you *might* be able to fix it without buying a new angle drive.

Remove your driver's side front tire. Loosen the cable from the angle drive. Lube the angle drive (I think grease or oil are better than WD40 for this, but even WD40 is better then nothing). Put the cable back on nice and tight, using an extra clamp if it makes you feel better. Cross your fingers and go for a test drive.

CAUTION! Be sure to thread the cable to the drive exactly as it was before, especially if you lack the support bracket. You might want to take a picture.

If you are intimidated by the DeLorean's angle drive / speedo cable system, then consult a friend who is a motorcycle enthusiast. Many motorcycles use a similar setup. A friend who rides a Triumph motorcycle mentioned this to me.

- Mike Substelny
VIN 01280, 8 years (losing track)