Re: wacko speedo?!

Before you condemn your angle drive remove the front left wheel and
carefully inspect the plastic dust cover that gets captured between
the wheel and the hub. If the square hole in the center is worn or the
disc isn't held tightly between the wheel and hub it will cause the
speeedo to be erratic. Make sure the square drive cable fully engages
into the plastic disc i.e. it isn't short or rounded off. If this
doesn't help you may need the angle drive or the lower drive cable
could be bad. Lubricate the angle drive and the loweer cable, it may
get things going again. The plastic "dust cover" is really a
speedometer drive disc as it connects the speedo cable to the hub and
wheel assembly.
David Teitelbaum
vin 10757

--- In dmcnews@xxxx, Mike Substelny <msubstel@xxxx> wrote:
> Casey wrote:
>
> > I was driving down the highway to Columbus today and out of
nowhere my speedo needle started bobing back and forth then lower and
lower and then completely died. An now is the weirdest part, If I
stopped it would start working again for a while then do the bobbing
thing and die completely. When I was in town not going fast it would
work fine.

> Hi Casey.
>
> It looks like you have trouble in Angle Drive City. It is possible
that your angle drive or speedo cable is marginal, or making poor
physical contact. Have you got the lower speedo cable support
bracket? Many DeLorean speedos fail because they lack this part. See
this DML page for info:

> http://www.dmcnews.com/Techsection/speedo.htm
>
> I can't find a picture of the bracket right now. You really need to
determine whether or not you have it before you continue. Does anyone
have a picture of the bracket they could show to Casey?

> It sonds like the rotating part of the drive looses physical contact
with the cable while you drive straight, only to be pressed back into
place when you turn either right or left. If this is the case, you
*might* be able to fix it without buying a new angle drive.

> Remove your driver's side front tire. Loosen the cable from the
angle drive. Lube the angle drive (I think grease or oil are better
than WD40 for this, but even WD40 is better then nothing). Put the
cable back on nice and tight, using an extra clamp if it makes you
feel better. Cross your fingers and go for a test drive.

> CAUTION! Be sure to thread the cable to the drive exactly as it was
before, especially if you lack the support bracket. You might want to
take a picture.

> If you are intimidated by the DeLorean's angle drive / speedo cable
system, then consult a friend who is a motorcycle enthusiast. Many
motorcycles use a similar setup. A friend who rides a Triumph
motorcycle mentioned this to me.