Control Pressure Regulator/Twin Turbos [long]

Control Pressure Regulator/Twin Turbos [long]

Hi All,

Just for those who haven't read my posts before: A good mate (Rich) and I bought two non-running D's and imported them back to England. Mine's #1458, a stock 5-speed, and has been running for several months now. Rich's is #2727, an Island twin automatic, and was mechanically in worse shape (cosmetically better).

In attempting to solve a problem with mine when we first got it going, several bits were swapped between the cars. All were swapped back EXCEPT the Control Pressure Regulator. I drove about 600 miles with Rich's CPR in my D, and it progresively got more and more difficult to start, and ran more and more roughly while warming up. Until one evening when the car wouldn't start at all. It wouldn't even fire on a single cylinder. On examination, the air flow sensor was extremely stiff to depress. When I loosened the Control Pressure line (the one from the top of the metering head to the CPR), the metering head plunger moved freely again and the air flow sensor loosened up (petrol leaked from the loosened line unsurprisingly). I took off Rich's CPR and swapped mine back. My car started first time and has run fine ever since. The Air flow sensor is considerably lighter to depress (engine off).

:On Saturday, we got around to attempting to start #2727 for the first time. Knowing there was something up with the CPR I took it apart. It was completely clean inside. I blew through both ports with the shop air-hose and if there was a blockage, it's gone now! (I could feel air passing through). I also undid those four small flat-head screws and removed and cleaned the components underneath. (two little plates and a funny little cap in between). I then reassembled everything. As soon as the pump got petrol into the CPR, the air flow sensor went really stiff again.

I have no idea how this device works, but if anyone has any hard-and-fast solution for this apparent blockage, please let us know!

Secondly, On #2727's engine, there's a vacuum hose which apparently has no business being where it is. Dave Stragand very kindly supplied us with the Island documentation, and there's nothing in it about this particular hose. He confirmed there's no such hose on his engine.You can see it in this picture

http://www.delorean.co.uk/pictures/DCP02382.JPG

It's the the right of the centre of the picture, and comes out of the left hand manifold. This hose goes off into a T-piece and one of the connecting hoses disappears off into the frame at the far left of the engine bay (around the same place as the A/C hoses). The other hose is hanging off it loosely. There's about enough length to get it to the charcoal cannister but no apparent port or connection for it. Anyone any ideas? I've blocked it with a screw for now. What does the charcoal cannister do? Currently all three hoses on the diagram are connected.

Lastly, in talking to Dave Stragand, and reading up as much as I can about turbocharging (including picking the brains of firstly an engine tunng expert, and secondly a friend who has a raft of self-taught knowledge on turbocharging). The Island system on #2727 has no cats and employs these very simple pressure sensors on the left intake manifold to detect when the system's under boost and disconnects the lambda sensor, putting the lambda computer into "slightly-rich" mode. In other words, it's a cheap and cheerful way of putting more fuel in the cylinders when under boost. In my searching the web, I found this intriguing product and one of the comments from the tuning expert was "this would be very useful on a modified engine"

http://www.milford.ndirect.co.uk/kstar.html

Has anyone seen this product before?

#2727 does not have a knock sensor either, nor does/did it have a re-curved rotor arm (it needed replacing anyway). I think in combination with the K-star, the potential for fine tuning an Island twin engine is huge.

Best Wishes

Martin