Instrument light

Hello,

Since I got my drivers license last tuesday (yahoooo :) I'm finally able to drive my own car.
One night when I was driving i realized that I could not see my spedoometer, it's
not illuminated.
I started to turn the rheostat, and nothing happened, except that the light in the hazard switch
switched off.

What might this be? what bulbs are affected by the rheostat?

I would also like to thank Mr. John Hervey for helping me with my cold start problems - it was the thermo time switch.
Now I am able to start the car at "any" temperature - I have been driving my car in minus 15 degrees
celsius (5 deg. fahrenheit).
The car really looks cool when it's that cold outside, I am going to take some pictures soon.

Regards,

Wilhelm Starberg
VIN #10816
Norway