Fuel pressure at the injectors?

Just when I was getting comfortable with my understanding of the CFI
system on my D, I've confused myself.

Could somebody please set me straight with what "portion" of the Fuel
injection system actually limits (or controls) the fuel pressure
specifically at the injectors?

I realize the injectors are mechanical, and open at about 3-3.5 BAR.
I also understand the fuel distributor sends the fuel to the
injectors, and that there is a System Pressure regulator inside the
distributor.

I dug out my trusty gauge, measured the system pressure, control
pressure (CPR)...etc. Compared them to the shop manual (all being
within specs). But I cannot figure out why, with minimal air-plate
deflection, not all of the injectors fire...but deflecting the plate
further they all fire equally.

Bad Injectors? Faulty Fuel Dist.?

BTW: all tests were done with the RPM relay bypassed, obviously all
injectors removed.

Thanks
Eric
Dunedin, FL