Re: [DML] Re: Front Suspension Mod's

Walter,
Just to give you some background about myself, I work for a small company
called Raceco. We build prototype high speed mobility vehicles for the
military.
I'm not an engineer but a metal fabricator. I build the suspension arms,
jigs, tubular chassis, body panels, etc.
The tubular frame structure, and all suspension components are made from
4130 condition N materials.
Everything on our cars are light weight and have been tested at NATC. We do
not use any mild steel whatsoever
We use a specific type of welding wire (sorry I don't know the grade off
hand) and an argon mix gas.

www.theflyergroup.com
sometimes this page doesn't work.

The original suspension arms that are on my DeLorean now are in need of
replacing. For some reason someone had welded a small piece of flatstrap
around the area of the balljoint on one side. I don't know why but it scares
me.
And that small lip that is on the bottom where the balljoint fits through is
totally gone. For awhile I wondered why my car made such a loud clunk noise,
now I know.

Almost a year ago I won an ebay auction for a set of lower control arms. I
intended on using them to make my jig and make three sets of arms. One set I
would keep and install. The other 2 sets I would sell sometime later, after
I put 1,000 miles and crack check the ones on my car.
There had been a long period of time where I was either very lazy or busy
with other projects. Or I would have been by now. So I decided to finish
them. Now I have our company's engineer looking over my shoulder giving me
advice.

It will be impossible to try to keep within the weight of the original arms.
I'm hoping no more than a pound.
As long as I keep all the major parts of the arm the same, balljoint, pivot
tube, sway bar tube and shock location. I can cut some weight from some
places and add a half box structure.
As for the coil spring cup, I looked into a couple of companies that sell
suspension pieces including the spring cup.
But our springs are not a common size so I couldn't use them. I'm sure I'll
find something out there or have made, I just haven't thought about it to
much. I have many catalogs and resources available to me at work.
I'll keep you informed and take some pictures when I'm done.
Regards
Mike