Re: [DML] Re: Front Suspension Mod's

> I don't think a redesign is what's
> needed here, all we need is a good source for replacement parts. This
> is not a case of a badly designed part although I am sure someone
> will redesign it anyway.

David T.,
You are a far more knowledgeable mechanic than I am, but in this case I'm
disagreeing with you. At the SEDOC event last September, we had a slide
show. Included were photos of Tom Long's lower control arm that failed
under normal use. This was a stress fracture that grew over time. It was a
miracle that the piece broke while the car was parked overnight and not
being driven. Steve Wynne of DMC Houston also commented that the handling
of any DeLorean can be improved by welding a plate onto the bottom of the
lower control arm to give it more stability. One of the points made during
the slide presentation was to periodically inspect the ends of the lower
control arms for stress fractures. In my opinion, it is a good thing that
the supply of these parts has run out because it forces us to design safer
replacements.

Walt Tampa, FL