Re: Bah, heck, darn it. Angle drive issues.

Re: Bah, heck, darn it. Angle drive issues.

> So, I've got a nice swanky new angle drive all ready
> for installation.
[snip]
> Sure enough, it's not turning. Well. It *is*.
> It's also turning whatever it is it screws onto,

The angle drive (AD) is NOT screwed into the nut;
it is held in place by a circular spring inside the nut.
In order to remove the drive from the nut the nut has
to be removed from the hub/axle.

It's my experience that this is not THAT hard if you disconnect the
lower speedo cable from the AD and disconnect the tie rod from the
sterring knuckle. Doing this enables you to swing out the knuckle a
bit further, giving better access to the nut the AD clicks into.

When you have the nut off look inside past the cable that usually
comes through the axle, you'll see the end of the AD with a litle
spring around it. It's not easy, but using tweezers or a set of small
screwdrivers you can compress the spring while pulling lightly on the
AD. Once the spring is pushed in far enough you should be able to
separate the AD and nut quite easlily.

When you reassemble everything, make sure you torque everything up
right! The nut that holds the AD also holds the axle in place; not
toqueing it right COULD result in your wheel falling off of the car!!!

Good Luck,

JAN van de Wouw
Thinking Different... Using a Mac...

#05141 "Dagger" since Sept. 2000