Re: [DML] Re: Bah, heck, darn it. Angle drive issues.

On Sat, 17 Nov 2001, Jan van de Wouw wrote:

> > So, I've got a nice swanky new angle drive all ready
> > for installation.
> [snip]
> > Sure enough, it's not turning. Well. It *is*.
> > It's also turning whatever it is it screws onto,
>
> The angle drive (AD) is NOT screwed into the nut;
> it is held in place by a circular spring inside the nut.
> In order to remove the drive from the nut the nut has
> to be removed from the hub/axle.

*nod* It's getting the nut removed from the axle that's the issue. The
only way I can see to do this is to remove the rotor and free up some more
of the spindle so I can immobilize it. Only way to do this that's come to
mind (with help) so far is the use of a large pair of vise grips in
conjunction with a breaker bar wedged on the ground. This idea lacks
appeal, as I don't relish the thought of the vise grips digging their
hungry teeth into my fairly virginal spindle. If there are other
suggestions, I'm open to them. :)

Noah "out of liquid wrench *again*" Robin