Re: Headlight Switch Problem.

--- In dmcnews@xxxx, DMCVegas@xxxx wrote:
> Tonight I noticed a problem with my headlight switch. If I push
> the button once, nothing happens. But when I push it again to
> click it into the second position, both the clearance lights
> and the head lights turn on.

I had the exact same problem on my car since I bought it.
On opening the switch it turned out that the plastic between the
contacts had melted and allowed for the contacts it was in between
to misalign. This resulted in the sliding parts not touching the
contacts, so no electrical connction was made. The plastic only
melted in the first position, so in second everything DID connect.

I bought a new Lights Master Switch, which I put in while I was
replacing my radio. Since I had my console out anyway I could
reach every wire much better, so I made a slight modification:
the switch now operates a relay (with contacts rated at 30Amps),
which in turn switches all lights. This way the load for the
switch went from about 4Amps to less that 0.10Amps.
Not that 4 Amps is so much current, but on dirty contacts it's
enough to cause some seriuous heat.

I also put in a second relay that gets powered after the
ignitionswitch, switching the power for the headlights,
so when I turn off the ignition, only the perimiter lights
stay on and the headlights can be flashed. This also help save
the battery when you forget to turn off the lights.
On top of that I also fitted a reminder buzzer that starts
beeping when I have lights on and turn off the ignition,
this way I never ACCIDENTALLY leave on my lights...

If you want/need instructions on how to hook up the relay(s)
or a buzzer, give me a private mail on jan@xxxx
(jan [at] vdwouw.demon.nl in case Yahoogroups gables my address).

Good luck,

JAN van de Wouw
Thinking Different... Using a Mac...

#05141 "Dagger" since Sept. 2000