Re: New Magazine

Thanks for the rundown...that's somewhat what I was expecting, so I
invested some $$ into parts instead of the subscription for the time
being...

It's nice having publications like this being produced today, but
what I don't understand is why they're so overproduced for the
information they contain? If the magazines had a ton of tech info in
there and all kinds of ads from different folks, that would be
worthwhile. The national DMC club magazine seemed more like this,
but I didn't get much out of it, other than the ads for the same
alternator, lock solenoid, and door struts replacements from various
sellers.

I say this not from the DMC club perspective since I am unaware of
who puts together what, but part of the problem with club
publications is that whoever is putting them together, usually a
longtime member, is more focused on the club and putting the cars in
these unique photo locations. You'll read all these stories about
past events, with pictures of the cars all lined up on the side of a
mountain, or some upcoming event, but meanwhile there's a ton of us
out here all wrenching away trying to get the cars ready to even get
to these events with 1001 car related questions, but instead we're
getting sent a monthly car club travel log!

If someone really wants to come up with something to market, produce
a "Delorean Owners Companion" book, featuring all the *key*
information from the different books, data sources, tips, etc. The
BMW club put out a book of general tips, even across such a wide
range of cars, and it's very helpful. It contains repair tips and
some model-specific repair information. No glitzy color photos on
expensive glossy paper, just an oversized book in black and white.
Delorean could have the basics on maintenance, suspension upgrade
tips, trailing arm inspection/repair, electrical fixes, radio
replacements, proper car detailing, reccomended fluids, 'trick'
fixes, rebuild estimates/pricing when major repairs are required, on
and on..

Sure, people can go look through their owners manual once they pay
$30+ for one, then find some other data in the service manual once
they shell out $60, then find some bulletin about recall updates in
another $35 manual and spend hours doing lousy digest searches that
return 15,000 messages when searching for the original rear speaker
sizing or the best technique for cleaning the stainless, etc. I'm
not saying this should be a replacement for these other valuable
books, but I have all these books but still don't have anything that
shows me the proper "technique" for getting scuffmarks off the
stainless steel, for instance. I'd rather not take a scotchbrite pad
and start sanding away with the grain to "see what happens". The
owners FAQ that's out there is very helpful to get going, but
something in between that and these factory manuals would be
excellent.

For a single car model that has such a strong following, clubs,
magazines, etc...I'd rather buy a book and use it as a general repair
reference, THEN hunt down the latest information and products through
literature from the DMCHoustons, PJGradys, SpecialTAuto, DMCJoe, and
the web in general... rather than subscribe to some overpriced
magazine for years hoping they decide to run an article on how to
check trailing arm bolts or repair a fuel sender. At least now when
the daily repeated question comes up, we can say "buy this book -
it'll explain a lot", and people won't be having the same questions
over and over again on the net...

Just an idea...maybe a team of dedicated owners could even come
together and put together such a book. Think about all that you know
now after owning the car compared to when you were new to all the
technical information, and how much time you could have saved with
the proper resource to begin with...
Pete