Spare tire Question/Idea.

Ok, here's a question that I have, that I've never seen on the DML
before. My spare tire is unable to hold air, so I can't really use it
in an emergency. I'm also not too keen on carrying a can of fix-a-
flat around since it gets way too hot in the summer time. So, here's
my question. Can I use the tire sealant on my spare tire to keep air
in, and be able to use my tire? Is there a danger of any kind since
the rubber is so old? If nothing else, is it possible to buy a new
spare tire? Obviously a differant size, I've seen that the Goodyear
temporary spare on the Jeep Wrangler has to exact same tread pattern.
So I know that Goodyear still makes spares.

Any thoughts?

-Robert