Looking for that D

( Moderators note: Either Tony is new to the list or he's pulling our leg. Tony, look through the archives and also check through the cars for sale in the classified area of the Mailing List web site to get a better idea of the going prices for DeLoreans. )

Hello all,
I've been searching for a D for quite a while now and I'm getting frustrated. They all seem to be quite musty smelling inside. Is leaking a common problem? Also pretty rusty underneath.

It's funny because people selling the cars use words like "Pristine", "Mint", "Absolutely Beautiful". So after schlepping hundreds of miles I find nothing but signs of neglect written all over the car.

I really don't want to go over $20K but so far all the D's I've seen are kinda shabby. Am I being too picky for this price range?

I have a '91 Buick regal with 176K miles on it and it's in MUCH better shape then these D's I've seen. I understand it's 8 years younger but I've been driving this thing through all four seasons (NY suburbs). But it's just a stinkin' Buick that's been moderately cared for. The inside still smells like leather and it's not a rust bucket.

You'd think a person with a car like a DeLorean would take better care of their car.

Also, what's so great about the upside down (to be viewed from the outside) DeLorean signature on the glovebox? Is this supposed to increase the value? I think it looks terrible.

I'm kinda limiting myself because I'm looking for an '83 stick and I don't want to fly around the country looking for one.

Do you think it's a pipe dream to find a $20K '83 stick DeLorean that's been well cared for (at least been garaged) in the NY, NJ, CT areas?
Thanks in advance for any advice,
Tony