hood adjustment

I have a problem with water getting under my hood from the windshield area.
It is particularly a problem from washing the car. Water splashes from the
windshield and gets in the trunk.

Here is what I have done so far:
Found that gasket was glued in the wrong place. Removed & replaced gasket.

Found adjustment on hood latch might be too high. Disassembled and found
that adjustments are already maxed out on their lowest settings.

I tried closing the hood on a dollar bill and the hood does not come down
far enough to grip the dollar at all. The dollar easily slides out.

Toward the front of the car and on the front sides, the hood grips a dollar
bill just fine.

Compared to the height of the front fenders, the hood is about 6mm too high
on the driver's side and about 3mm on the passenger side.

Am I correct in assuming that the height of the fenders are supposed to be
adjusted to match the door and hood and not the other way around?

What else can I do to make my hood fit tighter to keep water out? I'm about
ready to file out the adjustment in the latch to make it go lower. I found
two places for vertical adjustment in the latch mechanism, and both are
already at the end of their travel.

Walt Tampa, FL