Re: Looking for that D

--- In dmcnews, Some Nut wrote:

> I've been searching for a D for quite a while now
> and I'm getting frustrated. They all seem to be quite
> musty smelling inside. Is leaking a common problem?

When I bought my car, it too had a nasty smell inside, easily
explained as the previous owner smoked in the car. Since then
I have THOUROUGHLY cleaned out the ashtray, cleaned the carpets
and I have replaced the headliners. It still has a certain smell
to it, but that's most the leather and my new doorseals. I don't
mind, because this smell is unique to MY DeLorean;
I sort of like it actually...

> Also, what's so great about the upside down (to be viewed
> from the outside) DeLorean signature on the glovebox? Is this
> supposed to increase the value? I think it looks terrible.

Think of it this way: how many car owners can say they have an
actual, original autograph by the "inventor" on it? Try that with
a Ford, a Peugeot or whatever.
And there's a reason the autograph is on the lid: it takes just
a couple of screws to take it out; dont like it? REMOVE IT!
And if you don't want to spend money on a new lid, swap with
someone who DOES like the autograph or sell it on eBay...

I also think comparing a 20 year old car to a 12 year old one isn't
really fair; the available techniques on rustprevention progress
really fast, so 8 years is a hell of a difference...

IMHO you're absolutely far too picky, even for the pricerange you're
considering. I bought my "Dagger" for roughly $13k and as it looks
now the $20k-rule will probably apply to my car too in a year or two.
But meanwhile I'm having great fun driving AND maintaining my car.

If you want a good, drivable and safe car right away, fork out the
extra cash and buy a refurbished one from DMC Houston.
Might cost you a little mor, but you're getting what you pay for...

Jan van de Wouw
Thinking Different... Using a Mac...

#05141 "Dagger" since Sept. 2000