Re: Looking for that D

Well, in all fairness, just about every DeLorean that you will see
has been in storage for some period of time. Some times the musty
scent can just be from old body oil. This can happen with any car. If
your present vehicle is a daily driver, than it's obviously getting
more fresh air circulated around inside. As an example. The only
orignal interior items in my car are the glove box lid, carpet, and
the entire center console. Everything else has been replaced. And
occasionally yes, there is still that hint of a "musty" smell. But
regular use is clearing that up. And the last time that happened, my
car was sealed up in 120°+ heat for over 3 days. How to give your car
that "new car smell" has been a past topic, and it a how-to was
posted. But as far as "musty" smells go, the topic has never really
been brought up. If it's not posted here, than it's usually not too
common a problem. Even I've found here in Vegas, almost every car
over 4-5 years old will have some sort of odor to it. No exceptions.

If you are not able to find a vehicle within your area that suits
your needs, then you will need to be prepard to travel. No matter
what the marquee, passionate, hard-core owners almost always have to
travel to find that perfect car. If I may also ask, what is it about
the 1983 series that you prefer?

As for the quality of cars you are looking at, the big question
remains: Where are you looking? Up in your neck of the woods, P.J.
Grady is your best bet since he is so obviously close. On a side note
as well. If you plan to drive the car year round such as you do with
your present vehicle, then rust is somthing that you will have to
prepare for. It may even be time to give your current vehicle a good
going over on a lift.

Some folks do list cars as being in a better condition then what they
really are. But this is with almost all cars. Which car you choose is
going to depend upon what your needs/abilities are. If you want a
pristine, perfect, turn-key, off the show room floor DeLorean right
now, expect to kick out about $27-30K. My car is no where near
concourse. But I can assure you I walked away from the appraiser very
happy when I took her in!

For $20K, you should have no problem finding a good solid D. She
might need a little pick-me-up in the cosmetics department, but
she'll be a good driver. But if you do hold high standards for the
car, expect to put in more footwork, if not money. If you want a car
that's been loved and taken care of, start looking in places where
people who love and care for thier car's gather. Take it from me.
Quick newspaper ads, eBay listings, and little "Mom and Pop's Used
Car-a-Rama" places are probably not gonna have the kinda car you're
looking for (that doesn't mean there aren't ever exceptions and
bargan fixer-upper's to be had for other's though). It just depends
on your standards.

I do wish you luck in your search. But it may take some time to get
that perfect car that your're looking for. With the type of car
you're looking for, with your phyisical/monetary requirements, expect
to put a few more miles on your Buick... Remember, musty, storage
odors are not nessisarily the sign of a poorly maintained car. If how
the interior smells is a concern, you do have high standards. But to
be perfectly honest, there are larger priorities and risks at stake.
Pine tree air fresheners will always be cheaper than parts for a
contaminated fuel system. One word you may want to consider:
Compromise.

-Robert
vin 6585

--- In dmcnews@xxxx, "Some Nut" <thenutman@xxxx> wrote:
> ( Moderators note: Either Tony is new to the list or he's pulling
our leg. Tony, look through the archives and also check through the
cars for sale in the classified area of the Mailing List web site to
get a better idea of the going prices for DeLoreans. )

> Hello all,
> I've been searching for a D for quite a while now and I'm getting
frustrated. They all seem to be quite musty smelling inside. Is
leaking a common problem? Also pretty rusty underneath.
<SNIP>