Re: Door Lock Module (long)

One thing you must take into account in reedesigning the lock module
is the inductance it must control ie: the lock solenoids are coils
which when you try to stop putting electric into them (like when the
relay contacts open) the coils still have a lot of "electrical
inertia" re: inductance, so the current will try to continue which
results in arcing across the contacts. The heat generated will
eventually weld the contacts unless you oversize the contacts and use
capacitors to reduce the arcing. Using an undersize circuit breaker is
a very temporary solution. Circuit breakers must have a margin of
capacity above what is being used in the circuit (They are not meant
to be tripped often). They are primaraly used to protect the wiring
from overheating, not devices. If you find a circuit breaker to work
at this low (sensitive) level it will eventually get very sensitive
and start tripping at lower and lower levels so that it won't let the
coils activate. In cases where you need accurate and sensitive circuit
tripping you must look for a better solution that a mechanical circuit
breaker or a fuse, you will need a circuit capable of sensing current
draw and shuting down the lock module something like used in modern
amplifiers speaker output circuitry. (This just keeps getting more and
mote complicated!)
David Teitelbaum
vin 10757