Re: [DML] Re: GM Engine

On Thu, 30 Aug 2001 at88mph@xxxx did not write:

> > is the same size as the Northstar V8. Is this so? He says that the block
> > is available in aluminum. >

The SBC V8's are definitely *not* the same size as the Northstar. They
can be made quite lightweight (a complete short block weighing something
like 400 pounds) but it is still too big.

> >I would like to consider installing a front wheel drive engine &
> > transmission in place of the DeLorean stuff. Has anyone considered this
> > idea?

That's basically how the DeLorean got to be the way it is - a FWD
transmission and engine with the final drive rigged to turn the opposite
way. And that's what the Northstar engine is as well, which is why it is
so compact.

Stuffing a whole FWD drivetrain would probably *not* fit, the wheels are
too far forward. The engine would intrude into the interior. But then,
even this doesn't stop some people :)

The DeLorean transmission really isn't that bad. The 5-speeds are fairly
stout (conventional wisdom is 250 to 300 pounds of torque) which could be
good to up to 350+ HP if you have an engine (such as the Northstar, or
many Japanese engines) which makes all its power at high RPM.

You might also consider the Volvo 5-cylinder engine from the S70. It
makes between about 160 and 230 HP in stock form (depending on turbo
type), weighs not a lot, should fit, has lots of low end torque for a
turbo motor, and since it's a Volvo engine you might not even *need* a
transmission adapter. Even if it doesn't fit there's a 4-cylinder version
of the same engine which would almost certainly fit. (there's an inline 6
version too but I think it is too long).