Re: [DML] spare tires

On Thu, 30 Aug 2001, Cohee, Michael wrote:

> spares. Just curious how other owners deal with their spare tires???
> Just use a temporary tire??? Does the temp rim fit both the front and
> the rear????

The compact spare fits both the front and the rear. But you don't want to
drive very far with it on the rear because it really is too small for
that.

One problem is that the rear tire does not fit in the space where the
spare goes. The front tire does, barely, but the rear doesn't at
all. If your rear tire goes flat, your only choices are to hide it and
come back for it later, put it in the passenger seat, or put it on the
luggage rack. If you happen to have a passenger, option #2 loses some of
its luster. So have a luggage rack :)

You might also want to carry a can of "fix-a-flat" type stuff with you and
a little air pump, just in case of emergency. It ruins tires, but if your
tire goes flat at highway speeds it is likely to be ruined anyway. The
little air pump is handy because even if you do use the temporary spare,
if you fill it up before you leave on a trip it is likely to be flat by
the end of it anyway. :)