Packard Tranny? [was: GM Engine]

(Just so this message contains useful information, Bob Brandys put a British
Land Rover V-8 into the car he calls the '97 DeLorean, and it looks really
spiffy. You ought to get a look at it sometime.)

While we are on the subject of expensive and very expensive DeLorean
conversions, has anyone thought of adapting a Packard Twin Ultramatic
transmission to work in a DeLorean? The Twin Ultramatic was John Z. DeLorean's
first major contribution to the automotive world and our stainless sports cars
were his last (as of today, anyway).

I believe it is nowhere close to a good fit. In fact, your DeLorean would
probably need to be lengthened. You can find Twin Ultramatics in Packard
Caribbeans and Studebaker Golden Hawks. Someone told me they were also
used in Packard Hawks and high-end Hudsons, but I have no confirmation
of this.

A DeLorean with the Packard dash-mounted push-button transmission controls sure
would be, um, distinctive.

- Mike Substelny