Re: [DML] Cold start valve question

> One thing I have done is disconnect the blue cold
> start valve to prevent the hot start problem (I hope
> the accumulator doesnt go next from the nighmares I
> have heard about getting it installed)...
>
> Anyhow, will it cause any damage leaving it unplugged?
> Will the car start when it's cold without it hooked
> up? > Thanks!
> Mike
> VIN 855

Mike,

You've got things a bit mixed up. When the engine fails to start when hot
and it's fuel related it's usually because the pressure drops below what it
takes to open the mechanical injectors. That's caused by either a weak
accumulator or a bad check valve in the fuel pump. At that point if you
unplug the blue connector from the cold start valve and the gray plug from
the warm up regulator and then plug the gray plug to the cold start valve
you will fire the cold start valve during engine cranking. The cold start
valve is actually an electric fuel injector and by firing it you introduce
enough fuel to get the engine started. You should then immediately unplug
the gray connector from the cold start valve and return it to the warm-up
regulator. Plug the blue connector back on the cold start valve and think
about getting the low fuel pressure problem fixed. This isn't a permanent
fix, it's a limp home emergency procedure.

Bruce Benson