Re: Subject:: What you see IS NOT always what you get

Re: Subject:: What you see IS NOT always what you get

I wholeheartedly agree with you in the statement Buyer Beware. CarFax
is a good source to help reduce your chances of buying a car with a
bad history. But it will never protect you 100%. The problem is that
CarFax is only as good as the information reported to it. Example: I
am the 2nd owner of my car, but it has had 4 seperate licence plates
over it's life time, and has recently been to the DMV's in California
and Nevada 4 times in the past year and a half. Of everything that my
car has been thru with title issues and registratinons, only 2 smog
checks show on CarFax. On top of that, one one of those reported the
milage of my car. This year I elected to renew my tags via the
internet. I smogged my car, then came home and went online to
complete my renewal. 3 days later I got my tags in the mail. But not
even my renewal this year has not been recorded. It just goes to show
that there are still alot of loopholes when it comes to CarFax.

A salvage title on a car can be "washed" much easier than you think.
Different states use different codes for titles. In some states the
salvage brand my only be represented by the letter "S", or even just
a simple number rather than the entire word "Salvage". When the title
arrives at a new state for processing, the state will try to adapt
the codes appropriately. If the code used for the salvage title
doesn't apply (differnt meaning i.e. S = Special Use), or the code is
unknown, it can be assumed not applicable. When this happens, the
code is dropped. Data entry is only as good as the resources given to
a person or machine. A washed title can happen accidently, But it is
the responsibilty of the owner to pass along the appropriate
informantion if and when the car's paperwork does not reflect it.
Just because the paper is clean, doesn't mean the
responsability/liability has gone away.

Judging the history of a car solely on it's appearance is no way to
go. Painted or unpainted, you always want to get a good look at the
underside of a car. Not just for rust, but you should ALWAYS check
for welding scars on the chassis. DeLorean specific, I would check
for not just flaking of the epoxy, but variations in color/texture as
well. You would also want to check for unusual seams or scars on the
fiberglass underbody as well. As much as I would like to include body
panel alignment, it's just not always feasable with the DeLorean.
Evidenced by the eyebrows, the facias are prone to warping. Even my
rear facia needs to be realigned with my quarter panels a bit. Check
tire wear for signs of uneveness. When test driving check the
alignment, etc... If unsure what to look for, bring someone with you
that knows DeLorean's, if not damage repair in general.

Another good way to check if the owner is telling you the whole story
about the car is to hit the owner with questions about the car that
are unrelated to another, and are out of sync. When did you buy the
car? How many miles are on it? What do you use to wash it? What's the
fastest you've ever taken it? When was the last oil change? What made
you want to buy this car? Why are you selling it? How often do you
vaccum the carpet? etc...

I know it sounds off the wall, but ask questions in a random,
unrelated order. Always keep shifting gears in the conversation. Some
questions such as why the person purchased the car/why they are
selling it can help determine the use/abuse/condition of the car.
Questions like these should be repeated a couple of times to see if
the stories match. While he/she may have to think a bit, a good owner
should have answers that match. Plus, don't be afraid to ask about
something. If you're going to be putting down your hard earned money
for a vehicle, the seller/owner should be able to answer all
reasonable questions about their car. If not, don't be afraid to
probe why.

Just a few tips to help out seeking you own dream to live...

-Robert