Re: Cooling Fan Update: It's Fixed!

That black gunk you washed out is mostly dust that is what is left of
the brushes in the motor when they wear. I am guessing that your
brushes are just about worn out and are not making good contact
anymore. By cleaning and disturbing the dirt you managed to get them
running again although I think not for long. The long term solution is
to either replace the motors or dissasemble them, cut the armatures,
and replace the brushes and bearings. The cleaner you used probably
washed out whatever lubrication was left in the bearings so expect
them to wear out even faster now. This kind of "repair in a bottle" is
best left to unscrupulous mechanics who do this kind of thing,
overcharge the customer, and know that they will be back for more! It
makes much more sense especially if it is your car to just do it right
the first time. Now that you have done it at least it confirms that
you need to replace or repair the cooling fan motors. Don't wait to
long to do it as they will inevetiably let you down at the worst
possible time (This is just Murphy's Law).
David Teitelbaum
vin 10757