Cooling Fan Update: It's Fixed!

I figured that once in a while you have to take some risks, so last
night I went over to Autozone and picked up a can of Berryman
Electric Motor Cleaner before I got any responses back. The nice part
is the cleaner is non-flamable, and is quick drying. I drove the D up
onto ramps, and used the straw to spray the cleaner into the drain
holes on the motor. The liquid itself is clear, but the gunk that
oozed out was blacker than brake dust. It was NASTY! I guess just
like the horns, the fans can get road grime inside as well. I waited
about 10 minutes for the drip to stop. I then turned on the otterstat
jumper, and viola! My cooling fan finally started up for the first
time in I can't remember how many months. I took the car for a test
drive. I went about 7 miles or so with the A/C on full blast. My temp
needle doesn't go above the 2nd mark now. I had forgotten just how
cold my A/C is. I had to turn it off a couple of times later on it
was so cold.

I also tried a little experiment. When I first got my car, the air
intake drain for the heater/Air conditioning was clogged. So when I
washed the car, water had gotten into the blower motor. Ever since my
motor had a scraping sound to it. I pulled the cooling tube, and
sprayed a little electrical cleaner inside. Now the fan is quiet
again.

I'm happy with both the results, and with the money that I've saved
in the mean time. I do know that the motor is 20 years old, and I
understand that both age and useage can take it's toll. I'm not
negelcting any one part of my car, but I have other parts of it that
need more immediate attention. But for others that have had problems
with their fans, this may be a good alternative for being able to
replace the motors later on, as opposed to right now. There is 1 more
thing that I do want to add. The cleaner states that it does work on
alternators. And I'm sure that it would do a pretty good job on one.
A disclaimer on the can states that you should first disassemble the
casing for a motor first before you spray anything. It also states
that you should NOT spray the cleaner on electronic components (they
make a seperate cleaner for that). So I you do elect to clean you
alternator, I would not advise you to spray the cleaner directly into
the alternator while assembled on the car. It might damage either the
Diode Carrier, or the Voltage Regulator. That's just too much of a
risk.

Just wanted to let everyone know!

-Robert