Re: are there d's with minimal troubles?

Re: are there d's with minimal troubles?

In my experience with Deloreans and old cars in general there are some
common things I noticed. The condition of a car is GREATLY affected
by the care it has been given over it's life. If a mechanic who isn't
familiar with a "D" has been working on it there are usually some
problems that are never properly corrected. If the owner or owners
weren't diligent about taking care and fixing things as needed there
could be many little things to fix. If the car sat for an extended
period that causes problems. History of the car is paramount. The few
design problems and recalls are well known, fully documented, and
easily repaired. What costs the big bucks is going over someone else's
work and doing it correctly because now you are paying twice to repair
something once. Remenber we are talking about a 20 year old car here.
Look around at other 20 year old cars and you either see cars that
were taken care of and are in good shape or you see parts cars that
could be rebuilt. Deloreans ae no different. I have seen may running
parts cars that were being sold to be daily drivers to the owner who
thought he would buy a cheap project car and use it as he fixes it up.
It is up to the buyer to know what he is getting into and this list is
one of the best ways to learn about the car. As you see many owners
who have a Delorean want to make it run right and use this list to
help them learn more about the car. Many are not mechanics and so are
not able to fix even simple things so you see all levels of questions
from my lights don't work to how to get the motor to idle correctly.
The fuel system, drivetrain, doors,and suspension system are not what
many Americans are familiar with and so are large sources of
questions. Among the most common things I see are that the cars don't
idle properly because whoever worked on the car didn't understand the
idling system of the Bosch fuel system.
David Teitelbaum
vin 10757

--- In dmcnews@xxxx, dherv10@xxxx wrote:
> Mike, I know as the moderator said you mainly hear the bad over the
DML. But I have put only 20,000 miles on one of my D's with no major
problems and have taken several 4,5,600 mile trips with no problems.
Any 20+ year old car will need maintence. There are a few updates that
need to be made to make it more reliable. As you know with only appx 2
years of production, a lot of problems come to the top, but most of
the vendor's as myself are addressing them.