[DML] Reluctant downshift.

Ever since I bought #2975 she doesn't like to downshift to seccond gear. It
will up-shift to seccond just fine, but feels very indirect and not nearly
as precise as the other gears feel. It doesn't grind at all, just has a
"pulling on rubber bands" feeling to it. When I put the lever in seccond
from neutral or any other gear but first, it just tries to spring back out
and never really engages the gear. Sometimes I can get it to go, but it
takes a couple of tries and still never really feels like the lever is in
the right place. I thought the plastic fluid line may be partially
responsible (I will be replacing it) but the problem is definetely more
noticeable when the car is cold. I recently removed my shift assembly due
to a broken shift lever. After I reassembled it and replaced it in the car,
there was a much more precise feeling when I up-shift, but exactly the same
problem trying to go down to seccond gear.

Any ideas? Is the linkage adjustable? I did do a quick inspection of the
underside, but maybe I just don't know exactly what to look for. Just a
note, the car has had a new clutch only a few thousand miles ago.

Thanks a lot everyone!

payne