Re: [DML] Jump starting (was computer governor (should I be concerned?))

Re: [DML] Jump starting (was computer governor (should I be concerned?))

Jump-starting any car has its hazards. Any car with a computer is in
danger of the same affects of jump-starting it as the Delorean. Did
you know that vehicle manufactures advise you NOT to jump-start any
car that is equipped with air bags? If not done right then you an
inadvertently deploy the air bags as you are jump-starting the car.
Care should be taken when jump-starting any car. As long as you
follow the procedures Walt outlined PLUS the ones below, you will be
fine:

1. On the "Host" car connect the positive cable first to the positive
side of the battery then the negative cable to the negative side of
the battery.

2. On the car with the dead battery: Connect the positive cable to
the positive side of the battery and connect the negative cable to
the engine block or chassis (whichever will provide a good ground).
The jumper posts on the Delorean in the engine compartment provide
good connections. What I tend to do before connecting the Jumper
cables to either car is this: I put one of the clamps onto the post
(with all of the other clamps disconnected) and rock it back and
forth a little. The teeth that are on the clamps will scrape away any
oxidation and bite into the metal. Just be sure the other three
clamps are not connected to anything.

By connecting the positive cable first THEN the negative cable, you
eliminate/minimize any surge that is sent into the electrical system
of BOTH cars. I have seen countless amount of times people installing
new batteries into their car and connecting the ground first then the
positive lead and then wonder why all of their bulbs all burnt out at
the same time in their dash board or why their computer fried.

Steve