[no subject]

I've got to jump in on this one. I can't understand what electrical
engineering principle could possibly impact the requirement to
connect the positive or the negative first, with respect to inrush
surges as the connection is made. It's a single circuit. Current flow
and resulting voltage sags/surges take a complete circuit, and will
happen whether Pos or Neg is hooked up first. The surge is completely
a function of the voltage offered (the battery) vs the load being
connected-to (the car's electrical system). Hooking up one side or
the other first makes no difference, no current flows until the final
connection is made.

The normal reason for connecting the positive first is that is less
likely that you will touch a hot (+) wire to ground by accident,
since the grounds aren't hooked up yet. Using jumper cables as an
example, if you were to connect the neg circuit first, and then
connect one end of the pos, and accidently drop the other one on the
car body, you'd get a short and lots of sparks. If you connect the
positive side first, later accidentally dropping the neg to part of
the car would have no effect other than completing the circuit.

Dave Swingle