Re: [DML] Jump starting (was computer governor (should I be concerned?))

Re: [DML] Jump starting (was computer governor (should I be concerned?))

Senator,

I think that the suggestion to only jump-start DeLoreans in extreme
emergencies is being too conservative. As long as some basic guidelines are
followed, there should be no danger of voltage spikes damaging the computer
governor. Here are my guidelines. Y'all correct me if I'm wrong and add
anything that gives more insight.

1) Before trying to start the parasite car, it is useful to leave the host
car running with the jumper cables connected for a while. (Then shut it off
before cranking!) This is for two reasons: First, this will help to charge
the dead battery. Even with a partial charge, any current delivered by it
will help considerably toward getting the car started. Long jumper cables
particularly with their weak electrical connections do not make good
conductors for the high current it takes to run a starter. Second, having
the host car running will provide a higher and considerably more effective
charging voltage (typically 14 volts or more) than with the host car not
running (typically 12 volts, maybe less).

2) Never have the host car running while cranking the parasite car. Despite
the little extra kick that this may provide, don't do it. The reason for
this is because the parasite car's starter may put an excessive load on the
host car's alternator causing it to overheat, burn out diodes, and produce
spikes as the regulator deals with the excessive load. Alternators are only
designed to produce enough current to charge the battery and run the rest of
the car. They do not have a high enough capacity or a regulator that is
meant to handle the load of starting a car.

Another tip for jump-starting DeLoreans: In order to get jumper cables to
make a good connection, it helps to bite into a soft metal such as like the
lead posts that are used on car batteries. Now don't get me wrong -- it is
a bad idea to jumper directly at the battery because any sparks in the area
can ignite gasses (yadda yadda yadda)... Instead of messing up the threads
on the brass bolt in the engine compartment, I suggest threading a lead
battery stud to it to provide a soft gripping place for when you need it.
The only disadvantage I see from this is that the black insulating cap won't
cover it any more. Also providing a lead grounding post nearby would be a
good idea as well. Soft lead always provides a superior gripping surface
for jumper cables than hard engine parts.

Walt Tampa, FL