Re: Remote starters

I personally would skip the remote starting feature. It's more for
show then practicality. If it were for warming up the vehicle in a
cold climate, it would serve a purpose. But chances are that if you
live in a region where it gets that cold, you won't be driving the D
in the winter. Granted the smaller interior of the D does warm up
quite a bit faster then other cars. But it's nothing that I would
consider unbearable. Plus since it is smaller, it has the ability to
cool down much quicker than most cars. A good running A/C system on a
D will do just as well, if not out-perform the cooling abilities of
other vehicles comfort wise. If it doesn't cool down as quickly as
you'd like, crack the windows to increase air flow while driving.

A better investment than the remote starter is the sunshade sold by
DMC Houston. It keeps the interior of the car MUCH cooler. Plus it
offers protection to the dash.

Another thing to think about is the safety aspect of things. To
enable the remote start feature you will have leave the car in
neutral. This opens up for too many problems. If your parking brake
was not properly adjusted it could slip, allowing the car to roll. Or
worse still is if you had to take the car into a mechanic's shop for
repair work. Even if you told the mechanic the remote starting
feature was there, he could forget. Against a wall or another car,
someone could start the car and cause a collision. Excluding damage
to your car, this could open up a whole new area of liability since
companies don't reccomend the installation of remote starters of
manual vehicles...

It is your car, and the final choices are yours when it comes to what
you want to do with it. So I'm not going to say what should or
shouldn't be done. But you've always got to think about the future...

-Robert
vin 6585

<SNIP>