Re: Remote starters

The reason remote starters work better on automatics is that they have
a neutral start switch so that you cannot engage the starter unless
the car is either in Park or Neutral. Although it is not as safe to do
it on a 5-speed any mechanic should be able to wire it in to work. You
are correct that it could be inadvertantly started in gear if when
shut off it is placed into gear. Generally most manuals when shut
down, unless on a steep hill, are left in neutral with the parking
brake, AKA the emergency brake, left on. If the parking brake is in
good condition it should prevent the car from starting. In general I
do not like remote starters, they can't monitor an overheat or low oil
pressure and if not properly set up could kill the battery if the car
doesn't start easily. It is also very easy to get distracted and
forget your car is running till it runs out of gas! If your A/C is in
good condition the car cools off quickly so you don't need to
prestart. In some areas if the car is unattended you are not allowed
to leave the motor running and even if you are in it it isn't to be
left idling for more than 15 min. This is only enforced in high
pollution areas like NYC and LA although I have heard of people being
asked to shut down trucks in rest stops. To install a remote starter
with an alarm can get complicated so have it done by someone with some
experience with installing them. They can be very difficult to
troubleshoot if there is a problem especially if the alarm has an
engine kill feature. Make sure to keep all manuals and document the
installation for future reference.
David Teitelbaum
vin 10757