seeking audio advice

Todd,
After undue amounts of suffering, I broke down and added a DIN sized cd player to my D. While this was a great upgrade, the extra power overwhelmed the stock speakers. The front speakers were a quick switch, 3.5 for a new 3.5. Not wanting to dig into the rear speakers, I decided just to disconnect them. For mid-low end sound, I added a 8" in the storage compartment behind the drivers seat. It is driven by a small amp which resides next to the battery. Since the 8" speakers range of music is fairly non-directional, it fills the car nicely. Down the road, the car definitely needs some more fill, but this upgrade is a huge step up from stock. Good luck!

Richard

Message: 1 Date: Mon, 30 Apr 2001 04:04:23 -0000 From: webmaster@xxxx Subject: seeking audio advice

I'm looking to upgrade my stereo system while keeping the look and
feel as stock as possible (i.e., no bass cannons or wedge-shaped
boxes on the parcel shelf). I don't want to wake the neighbors or
resurrect the dead with a $10K supersystem...I just want some decent
sound while I cruise. I'm in the process of replacing my headliner,
so I figure now is as good a time as any to take a heat gun to those
back panels.

I've been looking at the 4x10 Pioneer speakers that other folks seem
to have had good luck with, and from what I've read in the archive
the stock Craig fronts sound just as good as any other 3.5's out
there. Given this setup, what about adding a subwoofer mounted in a
replacement cover for the locking compartment behind the driver's
seat? Kicker has an 8" square sub that looks like it would fit
nicely, and I've seen someone else do this with an Infinity
Reference. Will the close proximity of the driver's seat diminish the
performance of the sub?

I've also considered putting an amp in the locking compartment, but
considering the heat they dissipate would that be a bad idea for the
amp, sub, or the Jetronic components in there? Should I vent the
compartment cover? Any suggestions on what amp to use in this
situation?

To complicate things, I'm looking for a receiver that will play MP3's
but I'm having a tough time finding one that matches the look and
feel of the interior of a gray D. The closest I've found so far is
the Kenwood eXcelon Z919...know of any that match better?

And, most important of all, how dumb an idea is this in terms of my
car's stock electrical system? Should I upgrade the Motorola
alternator to a 105-amp and install a FanZilla before I try anything
like this?

I'll be checking with Crutchfield on this stuff, too, but you folks
know what works in our unique cars far better than they would. Any
suggestions or ideas would be greatly appreciated!