Re: Fuel leak! BE CAREFUL!

You should also check the connections at the fuel fill, make sure
that
the hoses are all the way on, the clamps are tight, and the rubber is
not cracked or dryrotted. If you do not have the correct fittings on
the accumulater that is a sign that someone at some time kinked the
lines or damaged the fittings to the accumulater. A previous post had
a similar problem and said Rob Grady told him to remove the body to
replace the fuel lines. He was asking the list if there was any other
way out. I do not recall any answers to help him so I assume that the
only way to properly repair the lines is to lift the body and replace
them. Two of the lines carry high pressure gas, the third is only a
return just incase the diaghram in the accumulater ruptures. There
really is no good way to repair with hose clamps and there is no room
to cut and flare a splice. Before I would go chasing a leak I would
make sure all of the connections and hardware is correct. The most
obvious sources of leaks would be any area of the fuel system that is
not origional ie: components that were changed like the fuel filter,
tankzilla, (I can't imagine the problem you claim to be having trying
to get a good seal) fuel pump and boot, and fuel acumulater. It is
common to have a fuel smell after refueling especially if you
"top-off" but it should not persist. If you smell fuel continuosly I
recommend that you do not drive until you determine the source and
repair it. I have seen what happens to a car with a high pressure
fuel injection system when fuel leaks and it isn't pretty. By the
time
someone gets to you with a fire extinguisher there won't be much left.
If you get a kick out of holding the gauge to your ear when the trans
shifts make up a box with 2 lights and connect to the plug on the
firewall going to the 2 solenoids. You can watch the lights and then
feel the trans shift 1/2 second later. Check out the trans hold in D2
and D1. See if it works on your shift computer.
David Teitelbaum