Re: Auto Trans Problems

There are a couple of things to rule out before you replace the shift
computer. Make sure that the vacuum line to the modulater is
connected and not leaking. Check and adjust the line pressure. Check
the level of the trans fluid and smell it to see if it is burnt. Also
check color. (It should be red without small black bits in it). Check
the cable adjustment to the shift computer. Make sure all of the
connections to the shift computer plug are clean and tight. In the
end it will probably be the shift computer but you will kick yourself
if you wait for it, spend for it, go through the work to put it in,
and still have the same troubles. Mileage doesn't seem to be a major
factor in failures of the shift computer. You do not have to drop the
fluid and pan to replace the computer but it is a good idea to peek
inside once in a while.
David Teitelbaum
vin 10757