RE: [DML] DMC engine upgrades (and AZ event)

RE: [DML] DMC engine upgrades (and AZ event)

We discussed this in one of the De Lorean Motor Company online chats while you were pedaling around the world, Dick, and I'm in the process of writing an article for DW, at their request, on the engine. I am always hesitant to explain the details publicly (though anyone is welcome to call and talk to us about them) because the next question is invariably - "will you sell the parts separately" and "can you sell me the parts as a kit and I can install them". The answer to both, at this time, is no. We can't keep up with the demand we have now, and the only way we will warrant the parts is if we do the install. Quality control is also a big issue. Say you install the parts on your 150,000 mile PRV engine, and change nothing else on the engine. Two weeks later it disintegrates, suddenly De Lorean Motor Company's engine parts killed your car. If we install the parts, we're sure that it's done right, and the engine we're starting with is in good condition. We can also examine and correct other potential problem (motor mounts, water pump, oil pump, radiator, transmission etc). This limits our liability and exposure as well as ensures you have the ultimate product experience.

In a nutshell, Steve Rubano hit it pretty much on the head. Ported and polished heads (equalized chambers), slightly increased compression ratio, new camshaft profiles, tubular manifold exhausts with new dual catalytics and a new muffler. We had been experimenting with some improved methods of fuel delivery at higher RPM's, but those mods will not be included in the Stage I upgrades. Stage II involves the Stage I upgrades plus a conversion to an electronic fuel injection system (versus stock mechanical) and maybe other stuff - the first motor is still in development in the UK, so it's subject to change.

Idle and engine temperature are relatively unchanged. Fuel economy has not been carefully observed in our testing of either the automatic or the manual transmission test cars, though it doesn't appear to be markedly different. If you're going to spend $5,000-$6500 on a engine upgrade, odds are that a drop of a mile or less per gallon will be a minor concern. I drive the cars hard (ask the people who drove/rode with me in AZ this past weekend) and didn't notice much difference in mileage - it's a LOT of fun when you get on it, so I do it often.

James

As one who has had two DeLoreans with twin turbo's (and not TOTALLY happy
with the results), I am interested in the "new" engine. What I'd like to
hear is just what the modifications consist of, and the offsets to such an
engine "hop-up".
Dick Ryan
VIN 16867