Re: DMC engine upgrades (and AZ event)

Good luck in trying to find out the answer...I think it's a "secret"
since I wrote a few emails to someone <ehem> and never got any
response back. If you do find out...please share with us. For the
cost they are charging it sound like they are installing a custom
exhaust system, modifying the heads and performing "tweaks" (engine
tuning) to other parts of the engine (fuel, air, etc). Custom exhaust
alone is expensive, probably cost close to $3,000 or maybe even more
depending on what material they are using. You can't bore the
cylinder sleeves to a larger Diameter and if they replace the crank
than I think the price would be allot higher. IMHO (until someone
gives us facts), It's custom exhaust, Mods to the heads (porting,
polishing, ect) performance cams and lifters and engine tuning to
match the changes. Who knows I could be wrong but doing what I just
described will bring the HP up considerably. I believe (from what I
heard) that Phase two is suppose to consist of an electronic fuel
injection system to replace the mechanical Bosch one.

There was a performance engine build shop I used to go to who said
that it wouldn't be that difficult to bring the engine up to the
200+HP mark...I have to dig out their number again (and yes they
build pro race engine and high performance stock engines...not a fly
by night shop). I scraped the idea since I didn't have the money to
invest into it and plus I wanted to keep the stock set up for now,
that was 3 years ago. Come to think of it I think the owner of the
shop owned a Delorean as a "colectors" piece, kept it stock though so
it would be original (hence "colectors piece") so I am sure he has
thought about it.

--- In dmcnews@xxxxxxxxxxx, raddad@xxxx wrote:
<SNIP> What I'd like to
> hear is just what the modifications consist of, and the offsets to
such an
> engine "hop-up".
>
> I have no intention to try a do-it-yourself modification. I'd just
like to
> know what is involved in the modifications. Obviously, the very
> restrictive exhaust is modified. Perhaps the fuel management is
modified
> ala the approach described on the UK DMC club page. However, they
acheive
> only 167 HP. So, is the engine ported and relieved? Is there a cam
> modification? Or???

<SNIP>>