Re: Trunk-Latch springs

Be careful in changing the tension of the spring connected to the
"popper bar". Making it too strong will cause it to be harder to open
the trunk and also latching closed. It is a balance to get it right so
adjust it just enough to make it work, don't add a second spring. Also
MAKE SURE that the latch is perfectly lined up so the latch bar is
falling directly into the lock and not rubbing the sides. I have seen
the latch bars worn thin from rubbing the edges of the lock, any drag
just makes things worse. Another thing to point out is many times the
lock needs to be adjusted down to get the hood to sit right to the
fenders but there is not enough adjustment so remove the lock and
elongate the bolt holes to allow the lock to set a little lower.
Properly adjusted you can open the bonnet with 1 hand. All of this
also goes for the lock on the engine cover. The struts have nothing to
do with these adjustments.
David Teitelbaum