Re: Trunk-Latch springs

--- In dmcnews@xxxxxxxxxxx, Jan van de Wouw <Jan@xxxx> wrote:
> When I take a screwdriver and push down on the "popper-bar" it takes
> a considerable amount of force, so I gues the spring is OK?

Anyone who considering to put a giant spring next to thier fuel filler
should think twice. This spring will put uneven pressure on the hood,
possibly warping or twisting it, and it could also lift the driver's
side of the hood above the crash-stopper, decapitating you in a
collision. Jan van de Wouw, you comment about the "popper" is
correct. It's sole purpose is to "pop" the trunk when it is
unlatched. The end of this is connected with a spring to the actual
latch. When the latch is pulled, it is supposed to increase the
tension on the spring, lifting the "popper" so the hood can then be
grabbed. On many cars, I have seen this be correct, but it still
doesn't pop the hood simply do to it's shear weight. What the
previous owner of my car did, was put a second spring, right along
side the first, from the end of the popper to the latch. This way,
there is a LOT more tension in it, and there is pleanty of force to
lift up the hood above the latch. Right now, I acually have one
spring holding my hood from latching at all, because I removed the
release cable from the car when I began installing an electric release
line. (The manual one is going back in there when finished).
Unfortunately, the two springs put up too much force for the solenoid
I have, to unlatch it. So right now I'm working on a little setup to
keep the popper bar under heavy tension, but dramaticly releave it on
the latch. I am installing the release button on the small trim peice
going over the base of the handbrake. When I get all of this done, I
will post pictures. Untill then, good luck everyone with your hoods!

Jim Reeve
MNDMC-Minnesota DeLorean Club
VIN 6960